Depending on how old you are, you may remember the home intercom systems of yore. Often, they were unsightly plastic control panels in houses of the upper middle class. You could press a button and call and speak to someone in another room. Typically, the audio wasn’t great quality and the systems were pricey. The only people who actually thought these systems were cool were nine year olds who got a kick out of what was essentially a tech version of the string telephone.
Home intercom systems have come a long way since then. Today, not only are intercom systems better looking, but they also come with a bunch of awesome new features a smart home needs. Here are a few of the top advances in smart home intercom systems:
- Price: While much more advanced than the old intercom systems, today’s smart home intercom systems are relatively inexpensive. Depending on all the perks, you can spend less than a $100 on a system.
- Style: As I briefly mentioned before, today’s home intercom systems are much more attractive and stylish. Many systems are housed in a sleek aluminum case, rather than white plastic. This also makes them more durable and easily usable both indoors and outdoors.
- Sound: Many of today’s home intercom systems have fully integrated speakers that provide excellent, clear sound. Now you never have to wonder if your husband was trying to tell you, “I’m leaving you,” or, “I’m cleaning the room.”
- Bell: Now when you want to alert someone in another room, you don’t have to hear an obnoxious buzz. Many new systems allow you to choose how to notify someone, offering different options for sounds or lights.
- Camera: That’s right. Today’s home intercom systems have video as well as audio. With a real glass lens, VGA color, and an image sensor, you always have a crystal clear view of what’s going on in any room.
- Smart Home Synced: And lastly, many of today’s home intercom systems are easily synchronized with your other smart home automation devices, from security systems to automated lighting.
With a home intercom system, communication throughout your house has never been easier. No matter what your budget is, there is a suitable system out there for you that will fit your needs without breaking the bank. I recommend hiring someone to install the system, but once it’s in place, they are easy to use and last a lifetime!
Photo by: Gramophone Maryland